(TITC) – Community-based tourism in ASEAN region is flourist. The region set up the standards for quality accommodation of this type of tourism. The standards relates to accommodation service provider and managing accommodations to ensure quality.
Standards for ensuring accommodation service provider quality
– Accommodation providers are community members or approved by the CBT committee.
– Accommodation providers demonstrate commitment to developing sound knowledge of how to deliver quality accommodation services, and local environment, culture and sustainable tourism experiences.
– Accommodation providers operate within the guidelines and regulations of the CBT initiative and have signed and follow the ASEAN CBT Accommodation Provider’s Code of Conduct (Appendix 4).
– Accommodation providers supply safe and clean accommodation opportunities for visitors to experience community life and for knowledge exchange between hosts and guests.
– Accommodation providers are certified under any relevant standard produced for the purposes of improving accommodation services (e.g. ASEAN Homestay Standard).
– Accommodation providers have access to ongoing capacity building and training opportunities to increase their skills and knowledge of:
• accommodation and housekeeping services,
• food preparation hygiene,
• hospitality and service standards,
• sustainable tourism,
• group management,
• customer care/service,
• communication (including cross cultural awareness/communication and verbal and non-verbal communication);
• first aid and safety,
• authentic local cultural traditions, integrity, identity and values,
• environmental protection,
• the guidelines and regulations of the CBT initiative, and
• any other area deemed necessary by the CBT Committee.
Standards for managing accommodations to ensure quality
– Accommodations are provided within the objectives, guidelines, regulations and codes of conduct of the CBT initiative.
– A clearly defined and documented visitor booking system exists for visitors to the CBT central area and accommodations.
– An up-to-date log of arrivals, departures and returns to the CBT central area is maintained.
– Visitors are informed on arrival of safety, security and behavioural requirements.
– Purpose-built structures for visitor use are attractive and appropriate to meeting tourist expectations and basic safety standards.
– Bathrooms and toilets, with adequate privacy and ventilation, are available for guest use within all accommodations.
– All accommodations, especially bathrooms and toilets, are thoroughly cleaned and serviced daily.
– Bathrooms and toilets include a tank or adequate fresh, clean water, soap and cup; toilets include toilet paper and a sanitary bin.
– Toilets are of either squatting or sitting, and flushing or composting type, with consideration given to client preferences and local norms.
– The CBT area is maintained in a clean condition that minimises threats from dangerous species.
– Materials are available to cover basic communication needs between hosts and guests.
– A torch is available for night use in all accommodations and structures built for visitor use.
– All CBT accommodations and visitor use areas have procedures to ensure the security and safety of visitors and their belongings (visitors are to be informed of these upon arrival).
– A contingency plan exists for unexpected events, including a sick or injured guest, missing or lost guest, disruptive or undesirable behaviour from a guest, accident or injury to a guest or adverse weather conditions.
– All CBT accommodations and visitor use areas include a first aid kit for guest and staff use and checked weekly for completeness or replenished on use.
– All CBT accommodations and visitor use areas apply all appropriate standards of hygiene and cleanliness stated in the food and beverage section of these standards when including meals in the accommodation.
– A quality control and improvement system exists, including a system for visitor feedback on accommodations, and visitors are actively encouraged to participate in the feedback process.
– Subject to functional requirements, built structures for visitors reflect local building traditions and architect.
– Built structures for visitors are clearly identified at the location with guide signs as required (this particularly applies to accommodation and any special tourist use areas).
– Built structures do not include wild animal decoration, except where part of an interpretive display or part of local custom.
– Adequate lighting and ventilation is provided inside all built structures for visitor use.
– Structures are not placed within 20metres of any natural or cultural attraction or significant site, unless historically in that location or for cultural reasons.
– Farm animals cannot enter structures used by visitors.
– Parking and signage are available for visitor use and orientation.
– All CBT accommodation providers are trained in basic first aid and are therefore competent in using first aid kits.
– All CBT accommodation and visitor use areas have documented fire and mergency procedures, displayed in prominent positions.
– The family and cross-culture experience is emphasised.
ASEAN CBT Accommodation Provider’s Code of Conduct
I will conform to the CBT Member’s Code of Conduct by:
|• committing to on-going learning and improving my communication skills, particularly in the area of
accommodation and homestay services; (Mandatory)
|• adopting ethical and visitor friendly practices, and taking pride in representing my community; (Mandatory)
|• contributing to the protection and presentation of my community’s natural and cultural assets and traditions by providing and demonstrating community lifestyle experiences to visitors through the provision of accommodation and homestay services; (Mandatory)
|• following all CBT approved policies and codes of conduct regarding safety and security of visitors;
|• providing a quality service and conforming to any standards developed by ASEAN for the purposes of
improving the quality of guiding services. (Mandatory
My commitment to providing quality accommodation
|I will maintain a visitor booking system that includes an up-to-date log of arrivals, departures and returns to my accommodation. (Mandatory)
|I will provide opportunities for guests to have an enjoyable cross-culture experience and an insight to community and family life. (Mandatory)
|I will provide materials to cover basic communication needs with my guests. (Mandatory)
|I will maintain my accommodation area in a safe condition that minimises threats from dangerous species.
|I will ensure my domestic animals are healthy. (Mandatory)
|I will maintain an effective means of communicating (e.g. cell phone) with a responsible third party in the event of emergencies or accidents. (Mandatory)
|Unless part of customary practice, I will not include wildlife decorations in guest accommodation.
|I will ensure adequate lighting and ventilation is provided inside guest use areas. (Mandatory)
Guest sleeping areas
|I will ensure guest sleeping areas are available to guests at all times. (Mandatory)
|I will ensure guest sleeping areas are designed to allow privacy (e.g. partitioned). (Mandatory)
|I will keep guest sleeping areas clean and tidy through daily servicing. (Mandatory)
|I will provide clean bed linen, blanket, mat for each new letting. (Mandatory)
|I will provide an arrival welcome ‘gift’ (e.g. locally produced craft) and a daily demonstration of local tradition (e.g. flower, fruit). (Mandatory)
|I will provide a clean mosquito net for guest use as required and regularly spray to minimise insect pests.
Bathrooms and toilets
|I will include in the bathroom and toilet adequate privacy and ventilation, a tank or jar of fresh, clean water, soap, a cup, toilet paper and a sanitary bin. (Mandatory)
|I will thoroughly clean and service the bathroom/toilet daily. (Mandatory)
Safety and hygiene
|If I supply food or meals, I will meet the hygiene requirements identified in the CBT Food and Beverage
Provider’s Code of Conduct. (Mandatory)
|I will provide and be able to use a first aid kit for guest use and check it weekly for completeness or replenished on use.
|I will provide a torch for night use by visitors. (Mandatory)
I will demonstrate commitment to this ASEAN CBT Accommodation Provider’s Code of Conduct and be
able to explain the rationale for each of its requirements. (Mandatory)
Tourism Information Technology Center