(TITC) – Acting as the main focus of the ASEAN Homestay Standard, an accommodation should meet a number of requirements as below:
- The House
- The structure of the house shall be in good, stable and safe condition such as roof, walls, doors, floor, etc.
- The design and building materials shall reflect the vernacular architecture and local identity.
- The homestay provider shall provide a guest bedroom(s) that is separated from the other bedrooms in the house.
- There shall be a minimum of one (1) bathroom/toilet for the guest either inside the guest room or inside the house.
- It is recommended that the house shall have electricity supply.
- The house shall have adequate and clean water supply made available at all times inside the house.
- The House
- The BedroomProvide basic amenities and furnishing in the guest bedroom(s) such as fan, desk, mini cupboard, mirror, electric socket, mosquito net or coil etc.A maximum of four of the total number of bedrooms in the house, which are not being used by any member of the homestay provider/host shall be allocated to homestay guestsProvide standard and appropriate type of beds such as single beds and double beds with comfortable mattresses and pillows.If necessary, windows should be fitted with a mesh frame to keep out mosquitoes and other insects.Bed linen shall be changed as needed; and following the departure of each guest, a fresh set of clean bed linen shall be provided to the next guest.
- The Toilet/Bathroom
- Provide either sitting or squatting type of toilet inside or outside close to the house.
- Provide basic toilet and bathroom facilities including doors with locks in all toilets and bathrooms
- Adequate and clean water shall be provided at all times
- The Toilet/Bathroom
Assessment Criteria for Homestay Provider
|The house||The structure of the house is in good and safe condition. (SI)||a. Visit the Homestay Provider and check for structural defects such as cracks on the walls or ceiling, broken beams or other forms of damage that could potentially cause injury to its guests. b. Take photographs of any physical or structural defects. c. Take photographs of the house exterior to show the overall structural condition of the house.|
|Design and building materials reflect local architecture and identity. (SI)||a. Visit the Homestay Provider and observe the architectural style as well as the building materials used. b. Take photos of the overall and detailed architectural elements. c. Check with the local/national culture authority to check the cultural authenticity of the building architecture.|
|Separate guest bedroom(s) (SI) >> Number of separate guest bedrooms: ___________||a. Ask the Homestay Provider to show you the guest bedroom(s). b. Note if the bedrooms are used by the family members or are exclusively for guests. c. Write down the number of rooms for guests in the space provided. d. Take photos of each guest bedroom.|
|Minimum one (1) bathroom/toilet for the guest||a. Ask the Homestay Provider to show you the guest bathrooms/ toilets. b. Note if the bathrooms/toilets are shared with family members or are exclusively for guests. c. Write down the number of bathrooms/toilets exclusive for guests in the space provided. d. Take a photo of each bathroom/ toilet.|
|Electricity supply in the house. (IV)||a. Ask the Homestay Provider about the supply of electricity to the house. b. Ask the Homestay Provider about the consistency of the electricity supply as well as the time it is available (if applicable). c. Test 1 or 2 electrical sockets to check the supply of electricity to the house. d. Note the availability and consistency of electricity supply to the house|
|Adequate clean water supply inside the house. (SI)||a. Visit the Homestay Provider and inspect the water supply inside the house. b. Check the cleanliness (by observation) of the water and ask where it is sourced from. c. Note the source and quality of the water in the report.|
|The bedroom||Basic amenities such as fan, desk, mini cupboard, mirror, electric socket, mosquito net or coil, etc.(SI) >>Amenities available:______________||a. Visit the guest bedroom(s) in the Homestay Provider’s house and inspect all available amenities. b. Ensure that all amenities are in good condition. c. List down the amenities provided in the room(s) in the report. d. Take photos of the bedroom amenities and attach the photographs with the report.|
|Maximum of four (4) bedrooms allocated to guests.(IV, SI)||a. Ask the Homestay Provider about the number of bedrooms allocated to guests. b. Visit each guest bedroom. c. Note the number of rooms allocated to guests.|
|Standard beds with mattresses and pillows.(SI)||a. Inspect the sleeping area for guests. b. Make sure the mattresses and pillows are placed on the bed. c. Make sure the mattresses and pillows are in good condition (no dust, tears, malodour, etc.) d. Take a photo of the sleeping area. e. Attach the photographs with the report.|
|Windows are fitted with a mesh frame.(SI)||a. Inspect the windows of the guest bedroom(s) and note if a mesh frame is fitted on each one. b. Take a photo of the windows and mesh frames. c. Attach the photographs of the windows and mesh frames with the report.|
|Clean and fresh bed linen for every guest.(SI)||a. Inspect the bed linen provided for guests in the guest bedroom(s). b. Make sure clean linens are provided. c. Make sure the linens are in good condition (no dust, fungus, malodour, etc.) d. Take a photo of the linen. e. Attach the photograph of the linen with the report.|
|The toilet/ bathroom||Sitting or squatting toilet inside or outside, but close the house.(SI)||a.Inspect the guest toilets/ bathrooms and note whether it is located inside or outside the house b. If the toilet is located outside the house, note down the distance of the toilet to the house. c. Note whether the toilet is sitting or squatting. d. Take a photo of the toilet. e. Attach the photograph of the toilet with the report.|
|Basic toilet and bathroom facilities.(SI)||a. Inspect the facilities provided in the toilet(s) or bathroom(s) (sinks, toilets, showers, etc.). b. List down the facilities provided. c. Make sure the facilities are in good condition and are located at the right places. d. Take photos of the facilities. e. Attach the photographs of the facilities with the report.|
|Adequate clean water provided at all times.(SI)||a. Check the water supply in the toilet/bathroom and note the water quality. b. Note if a water filter or special water tank is used. c. If a water filter is used, check if the maintenance of the filter is according to the vendor’s specifications. d. Take photos of the facilities. e. Ask the Homestay Provider if water is supplied to the toilet/ bathroom at all times.|
Tourism Information Technology Center